This recipe and many others can be found in ‘Gluten-Free Diet’. Item # 3034 at www.ncescatalog.com or in our catalog.
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup chunky applesauce
- ¾ cup apple juice or water
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 cups white rice flour
- ½ cup tapioca starch flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
OR use 3 cups of your own favorite GF flour mix instead of the above flours
- ½ cup non-fat dry milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. xanthan gum
- 2 ¼ tsp. yeast
- ¾ cup finely chopped GF pitted dates
- 1 tsp. orange zest
Electric Mixer Instructions (Bread Machine Instructions included with book)
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix all the liquid ingredients together and set aside.
- Place all the dry ingredients, including the yeast, in to the mixer bowl and blend flours together on low speed.
- Slowly add the liquid ingredients to the dry while the mixer is on low.
- Beat on high for 3-4 minutes. Mixture should look silky. If the dough is too dry, add liquid 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Add the dates and orange zest after the dough has been thoroughly mixed.
- Place the dough into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan that has been greased and dusted with rice flour. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 60-70 minutes. Start checking for the bread being done at 55 minutes. When done, remove bread from pan and place on cooling rack. Do not cut or package until the bread cools, approximately 2-3 hours.
Yield: 15 Slices (1/2” thick)
Note: Apple juice, applesauce and dates make this bread moist and flavorful.
1 serving = 1 Slice (1/2 “ thick)
|Dietary Fiber (g)||2|
Case, Shelley. (2008). Gluten-free diet. Regina, Canada: Case Nutrition Consulting Inc.