As dietitians, we all hear crazy stories from our patients about the things they’ve been told regarding their health. Sometimes the things they say are so disturbing, we bottle them up inside and try, with all our might, to pretend like we never heard them say it. But, others are funny enough that we have to share with everyone around us! We’ve been compiling some of the favorites that we’ve heard from other dietitians so that we can share them with you here on the blog. Have you heard any of these?
- “Bananas are the worst food you can eat because they have an enzyme in them that makes you fat!”
- “I heard it’s not healthy to shake salt on my food, so I spoon it on instead.”
- “I thought it’s not good for you to have fruit after 2 pm?”
- Patient in a wheelchair, with 2 below-knee amputations was sucking down packets of mayo in the hospital cafeteria, telling people freely “I have diabetes and can’t eat carbs”.
- This is not from patient, but from a pharmacist (not a technician either) “About 6-8 years ago, when we all were learning about Lipitor interaction and cautioned to not consume grapefruits.”The pharmacist said to not have grapefruit, but you can have grapefruit juice because juice is not the same thing.”
- “Well I’m probably not going to lose much weight now because it’s winter time. Your metabolism slows down because your body has to preserve the fat because it’s cold.”
- Anything that begins with the phrase “But I heard on Dr. Oz…..”
- “Clear colored soda doesn’t have any calories”
- I had an MD tell me (on TV!) that eating a potato will “make you fat”
- .”Don’t combine fruit with proteins when eating. When you do this the fruit stays in your stomach longer and rots. Always eat fruit by itself.”
And the #1 urban legend goes to this gem of wisdom…
- I replace all sugar in my recipes with brown sugar instead”, with the person thinking this now made them a whole grain
Because we all know that if it’s brown, it’s a whole grain… right? Thank you to everyone who shared your best RD Urban Legends with us! We got a kick out of reading all of them! Do you have any stories to add to this list? If so, please share them in the comments below or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We could all use a good laugh today!
from your nutrition education partners at NCES!
Take a minute to share this eCard with the RD’s in your life! You can share this blog, or share the image via our Facebook and Twitter pages as well, using the hashtag #RDDay!
Let’s make RD Day go viral!
Celebrate Nutrition and RD Day 2015 with 40-50% off select items at NCES! Simply click here to browse the discounted products.
**All prices as marked
Available as a free download, you can print as many of these beautiful posters as you need! Hang them in your office, hand them out to patients, pass them out at health fairs… the possibilities are endless!
Click here to get your free download!
Don’t Forget National Nutrition Month Gift Boxes
Get your National Nutrition Month Gift Boxes now! With personalized messages, these boxes are great for dietitians, clients and doctors! Click here to see them all and order yours today. Only $6.95
**Don’t forget about discounts for orders over 10.
The Results Are In…
And We’ve Got the Best Patient Education Resources of 2014
Click here to see the top 10 patient education resources in nutrition education from 2014. As chosen by you all, the customers… these results are based on which resources were most used by you in 2014!
Good Morning and Happy 2015 from all of your friends at NCES! We’ve had an exciting year in 2014 and are looking forward to everything that 2015 has to offer! For almost 30 years, NCES has been proud to be a comprehensive provider of health and nutrition education products! As we look forward to 2015, we’re excited to continue our tradition and provide you with the best in patient education materials, teaching aids and professional resources!
Always remember that NCES is your partner in health and nutrition education. If you ever have trouble finding what you’re looking for or need help creating a new resource, reach out to us anytime at email@example.com!
Cheers to a Happy & Healthy 2015! Happy New Year!
Can you believe it? Thanksgiving is just over a week away! That means it’s already time to start getting your holiday shopping done. The Christmas season is all about giving, and many of us take this to heart as our shopping list grows and grows each year. As dietitians, I know that many of you like to use this as a time to thank your clients and encourage them through this season. For others, you may just have a health enthusiast in your life that you find it hard to buy for.
Whoever it is you’ve got in mind, we’ve created the best gift for every health enthusiast in 2014 that will be a perfect fit for them! Our Healthy Holiday Gift Boxes are packed with dietitian approved treats and snacks that will make the health nut in your life jump for joy! Plus, each box includes a few tips for enjoying a healthy holiday season. We’ve created them in two different sizes to make sure we can meet any budget and pre-filled them with some of our favorite snacks so you don’t even have to think about it. But, if you have some specific items you want included, we can customize your box to include any snacks you’d like. Simply email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at 877.623.7266 to customize your gift box today.
Whether you’re searching for the perfect teacher’s gift or for your dance instructor, personal trainer, or dietitian, these Healthy Holiday Gift Boxes are a great fit and make your holiday shopping just a little easier. They’re also great for employee, co-worker and bosses gifts.
Check them out today! You can have them shipped to you to give as gifts. Or, you can put your recipients mailing address in and we can ship directly to them.
To keep up with all the new products NCES has to offer, be sure to ‘Like’ us on Facebook or Follow us on Twitter.