It’s finally here! The summer vacation, float trip or trip to the lake that you spent all winter planning has finally arrived. Or, maybe your just excited to be spending every day at the pool to make up for all the vitamin D that your body missed all winter! Either way, outdoor activities are a lot of fun. The problem is, they take their toll on our bodies. As with anything, the sun sucks the H2O right out of our bodies, leaving us dehydrated. So, what can you do this summer to keep your body hydrated, healthy and happy? Here are our dietitians Top 3 tips for hydration in the heat!
- Monitor how much water you are consuming by time! As we’ve said in previous blogs, be sure to drink at least 8 oz. of water for every 30 minutes that you spend outside!
- Monitory how much water you are consuming in relation to alcoholic beverages! Alcohol assists the sun in drying out your body. So, if you are consuming alcohol, you need to be sure to offset the effects with plenty of water. Follow up every alcoholic beverage with a glass of water.
- Keep an eye on your body’s signals! Many people wait until they feel thirsty to begin consuming water. If you feel thirsty, your body is already dehydrated. So, continuously drink water throughout the day to remain hydrated. If you begin to feel thirsty, find a cool place and relax over a glass of water to get your body back on track.
Everybody wants to get out and enjoy these warm30. summer rays! Just make sure you are doing it responsibly. As with everything in life, the sun is great for us in moderation! So, make sure you plan time in the sun; but also plan time to get a break from the sun. Consume plenty of water! You’ll feel better and your body will function better!
Need some help teaching ‘Sun Safety’? This Thursday, we’ll be releasing our July Free Download, focused on the hydration tips featured in this blog. Sign up for our HealthLinks Newsletter to be the first to know when the download is available!
For more health & nutrition information, be sure to follow us on Facebook & Twitter. Plus, share this blog with your network. Let’s spread the word to build a healthier community!
When you walk out the door, there is no denying that summer is here. At least that is true here in the Midwest. Summer means that the kids are out of school, and you are likely going crazy by now trying to come up with activities to keep them entertained throughout the day. Well, here’s one you may not have thought of; go out for a picnic. Picnics provide a great opportunity for families to spend time together. Everyone can get involved in preparing the picnic, transporting the food and enjoying the fun! Here are 5 tips to ensure that your picnic is a big hit with your kids!
- Pack a well balanced meal – This is important to remember when preparing any meal, especially for your children. Be sure to include a protein, grain, veggie, fruit and dairy. Tip: Freeze some mixed berries ahead of time. They’ll make a great dessert to satisfy their sweet tooth and keep them cool!
- Take plenty of H20 – Our bodies are composed of 60-70% water. Therefore, it is important that we consume plenty of H2O, especially when it is hot outside. Make it a goal that everyone consume 8 oz. of water each hour while you are out in the heat enjoying your picnic.
- Keep the cold stuff cold – Always remember food safety! To reduce the risk of sicknesses due to bacteria, cold food needs to remain cold throughout your trip. For any non-perishable items, a picnic basket is great. However, you’ll need to keep the cold items in a cooler with ice. Tip: Reserve the bottom of the cooler for the cold items. They’ll stay cooler down there.
- Think about the extras – Of course you’ll need food on your picnic. But, what else do you need? A couple things to take would be bug spray and sun screen. Always make sure that everyone is wearing sun screen when you are going to be spending time out in the hot summer sun.
- 5. Take a long a good ground-cover – Don’t you want to be comfortable? Sometimes, grass can leave your legs a little itchy. A good ground cover will keep you clean, and itch-free.
At NCES, we love helping you keep your family happy and healthy! If you ever have any questions, visit us at www.ncescatalog.com, or on Facebook or Twitter. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or Chat Live with our Dietitian! Plus, be sure to check out our new MyPyramid Handouts for Adults, Kids and Tots.