As dietitians, we all hear crazy stories from our patients about the things they’ve been told regarding their health. Sometimes the things they say are so disturbing, we bottle them up inside and try, with all our might, to pretend like we never heard them say it. But, others are funny enough that we have to share with everyone around us! We’ve been compiling some of the favorites that we’ve heard from other dietitians so that we can share them with you here on the blog. Have you heard any of these?
- “Bananas are the worst food you can eat because they have an enzyme in them that makes you fat!”
- “I heard it’s not healthy to shake salt on my food, so I spoon it on instead.”
- “I thought it’s not good for you to have fruit after 2 pm?”
- Patient in a wheelchair, with 2 below-knee amputations was sucking down packets of mayo in the hospital cafeteria, telling people freely “I have diabetes and can’t eat carbs”.
- This is not from patient, but from a pharmacist (not a technician either) “About 6-8 years ago, when we all were learning about Lipitor interaction and cautioned to not consume grapefruits.”The pharmacist said to not have grapefruit, but you can have grapefruit juice because juice is not the same thing.”
- “Well I’m probably not going to lose much weight now because it’s winter time. Your metabolism slows down because your body has to preserve the fat because it’s cold.”
- Anything that begins with the phrase “But I heard on Dr. Oz…..”
- “Clear colored soda doesn’t have any calories”
- I had an MD tell me (on TV!) that eating a potato will “make you fat”
- .”Don’t combine fruit with proteins when eating. When you do this the fruit stays in your stomach longer and rots. Always eat fruit by itself.”
And the #1 urban legend goes to this gem of wisdom…
- I replace all sugar in my recipes with brown sugar instead”, with the person thinking this now made them a whole grain
Because we all know that if it’s brown, it’s a whole grain… right? Thank you to everyone who shared your best RD Urban Legends with us! We got a kick out of reading all of them! Do you have any stories to add to this list? If so, please share them in the comments below or email us at email@example.com. We could all use a good laugh today!
from your nutrition education partners at NCES!
Take a minute to share this eCard with the RD’s in your life! You can share this blog, or share the image via our Facebook and Twitter pages as well, using the hashtag #RDDay!
Let’s make RD Day go viral!
Celebrate Nutrition and RD Day 2015 with 40-50% off select items at NCES! Simply click here to browse the discounted products.
**All prices as marked
March is such a big month for RD’s! Not only is it National Nutrition Month, the only month of the year that nutrition gets a big spotlight, it also hosts RD Day. So, in honor of such a big month for our profession and nutrition community, here’s a list of five reasons you should love (but will sometimes hate) your dietitian! When you’re done, take a minute to share your reason in the comments and to share this with all of your favorite RD’s too!
5) We’ll be your biggest fan and provide support when you need it most.
4) We often get to cook and/or workout for fun… and get paid for it.
3) We’re more likely to give chocolate, fruit & wine as gifts than anyone else you know.
2) We get giddy when we see new fruits and veggies in the store and will buy one just to try it!
1) Forget Iron Chef… we can whip out a healthy meal with as little as five ingredients. Anytime, Anywhere!
Happy National Nutrition Month and RD Day on March 11th, 2015!
Last week, First Lady Michelle Obama issued the challenge for 5 ways to be healthy! Here are our five… simple, tried and true methods to be healthy! Enjoy!
- Eat at least 2 fruits and 4 vegetables each day
- Exercise at least 30 minutes everyday
- Take a break from your TV watching and do at least 10 situps or pushups during the commercial breaks for your evening shows
- Drink at least 5 large glasses of water each day
- Try at least 5 new foods in a week. And no, you can’t count the ‘donut of the week’ as a new food! 🙂
How do you ‘live healthy’? There are so many ways to live a healthy lifestyle and inspire those around you to do the same. So, now, we issue the challenge to you to #Gimme5. Comment on this blog with 5 ways you stay healthy using the hashtag #Gimme5! Happy National Nutrition Month.
Available as a free download, you can print as many of these beautiful posters as you need! Hang them in your office, hand them out to patients, pass them out at health fairs… the possibilities are endless!
Click here to get your free download!
Don’t Forget National Nutrition Month Gift Boxes
Get your National Nutrition Month Gift Boxes now! With personalized messages, these boxes are great for dietitians, clients and doctors! Click here to see them all and order yours today. Only $6.95
**Don’t forget about discounts for orders over 10.
National Nutrition Month is a great time to promote good nutrition to clients and patients! But, it’s also a great time to say Thank You to your co-workers, clients, patients and doctors who work hard to make the world a healthier place.
Save yourself a trip to the store and order a trendy, healthy snack-packed gift box for everyone you want to say Thank You to!
The inside of each box is personalized with a message to fit the recipient!
To see the individualized messages, please click here.