We all need a little motivation! And, sometimes there’s nothing better than to lean on the quotes from others who have been down the road we’re traveling. Some are funny and some are serious. But, either way, they can help us reach our goals, impart wisdom, maintain focus or just simply entertain. When it comes to health, fitness and nutrition, it seems like we’re always looking for a simple fix. So, we picked our 20 favorite quotes that encourage a healthy lifestyle. If you’re a dietitian, share these with your clients. If you’re not, simply share them with your friends and family. Either way, we hope that you’ll put them to good use to encourage yourself and those around you to live a healthy, well-balanced life!
- “Just imagine, how much easier our lives would be if we were born with a ‘user guide or owner’s manual’ which could tell us what to eat and how to live healthy.” ~ Erika M. Szabo
- “My Body Wants to Crave Healthy. I Just Need to Give it the Opportunity.” ~ Pooja Mottl
- “We have far more control over our health and the condition of our bodies than we ever thought possible.” ~ Mike Rabe
- “What if there were health food stores on every corner in the hood, instead of liquor stores!?” ~ SupaNova Slom
- “Food, like your money, should be working for you!” ~ Rita Deattrea Beckford M.D.
- “Physical fitness is not only one of the most important keys to a healthy body, it is the basis of dynamic and creative intellectual activity.” ~John F. Kennedy
- “Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy” ~Author Unknown
- “Garbage in garbage out” ~George Fuechsel
- “Health is like money, we never have a true idea of its value until we lose it.” ~Josh Billings
- “Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live.” ~Jim Rohn
- “Mainstream medicine would be way different if they focused on prevention even half as much as they focused on intervention…” ~Anonymous
- “To insure good health: eat lightly, breathe deeply, live moderately, cultivate cheerfulness, and maintain an interest in life.” ~William Londen
- “Exercise is King, nutrition is Queen, put them together and you’ve got a kingdom.” ~Jack LaLanne
- “Eating right is a lifestyle. With anything in life we hit bumps in the road. Especially in the beginning it may be tough to keep up, but NEVER give up.” ~ Steady Strength
- “Your body doesn’t have the ability to turn garbage into a high quality product. All of your cells, muscles, skin, bones, etc. are built by the food that you supply. Choose wisely.” ~ Steady Strength
- “It’s not food if it arrived through the window of your car” ~ Unknown
- “More die in the United States of too much food than too little” ~ Unknown
- “We’re the country that has more food to eat than any other country in the world, & with more diets to keep us from eating it” ~ Unknown
- “To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art.” ~ La Rochefoucauld
- “Bigger snacks mean bigger slacks.” ~Author Unknown
Do you struggle with portion control? I know this sounds like the intro to 90% of Dr. Oz’s TV shows. But, it’s an honest question. Why? Because the truth is that most of us do struggle with it. We live in a society where food tastes so good that we just want to eat more and more. Eating a small handful of snack crackers is no longer enough. We only feel satisfied if we down at least half of the box! Let me tell you this… if you feel this way, you are not alone! That is why portion control has become such an important topic in nutrition. It’s not enough to solely focus on nutritious foods, although it is still important, you also need to remember portion control.
There are many products out there advertising that they can help with portion control. However, we have found a few that we think are more helpful than others, which is why we carry them in our catalog. Yum Yum Bowls are perfect for any snack. These perfectly portioned bowls conveniently tell you when ‘Yum Yum Time is Over’, ensuring that you will only eat a proper portion of your favorite snack. Yum Yum Plates are very similarly designed. At 9”, they are the perfect size for anyone who wants to eat correct portions. Each plate is sectioned and labeled for Protein, Carbs and Veggies to help you with portion control. And, of course they are all microwave and dishwasher safe! As if all this wasn’t enough motivation to order right now, both Yum Yum products are currently 20% off on the NCES website. Simply enter code Yum6 at checkout to receive your discount!
We’re also big fans of our Right-Sized portion plates. With two different designs, one focused on kids and one on adults, these plates are sure to fit everyone’s portion control needs. The size of the average plate has grown wildly out of control. This 9” plate demonstrates the plate size that we should be basing our portions off of. It also demonstrates how to fill our plate using each of the food groups as recommended by the USDA’s MyPlate and 2010 Dietary Guidelines.
The bottom line is that portion control is not something you can ignore! It is something that every adult needs to understand, not only to become healthier, but also to be a positive example for our kids! We learn eating habits based on what we see those around us doing. Why not take advantage of these exclusive savings to kick off your commitment to portion control?
Food tracking tools are everywhere! From websites and apps on our cell phones and tablet & Notebook computers to printable guides on our refrigerator doors, we’ve got all kinds of food tracking tools designed to help us monitor our calorie consumption. And, if you have a fancy tracker, they even help you monitor your calories burned through exercise and other activities. But, if you’re like most, these trackers don’t help. No matter how hard you try, there is something stopping you from using the tool effectively! We want to know… what is it? What is keeping you from tracking your energy in (food) and your energy out (exercise) to become a healthier you?
For many, it is time! We barely have time throughout the day to focus on the foods we at… not to mention get to the gym. How could you ever take the time to track your daily activities? For others, the steps to calculating nutritional values are too complicated. “If I could find the numbers I needed, I would track the information.”
So, what is it for you? Here at NCES, we are in the beginning stages of creating the ultimate food tracking tool that will finally be the answer to monitoring all of your dietary needs. We have a lot of ideas to get started. But, we need your input! What would make this app work for you? Feel free to submit your responses on this blog. Or, you can always email us at email@example.com or connect with us on Facebook or Twitter.